Chicago Defender Charities, Inc. Bud Billiken™
Scholarship Program 2018
Application available Feb 15, 2018
($2,500 Scholarship Award)
Scholarship Application must be submitted by Monday, June 30, 2018.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the advancement of education in the African American community, the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc. is proud to continue the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc. Bud Billiken™ Scholarship Program. This scholarship is designed to encourage students to further their education in an effort to advance the state of the communities in which they live. It is our belief that by investing in the education of our youth today, they will have a greater potential to positively impact their communities in the future.
Each applicant must:
- Be a United States Citizen
- Resident of Illinois
- Possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.6/4.0 scale
- Be a graduating High School Senior
- Continuing higher education student (Current enrolled college student)
All applications must be accompanied by the following documentation:
- Most recent official transcript
- Two letters of recommendation; one academic and one personal (non relative)
- Proof of acceptance or enrollment in a college or university
- Students are required to submit a one - three minute video.
- Topic: “How has your education shaped who you are in today's society? How can you use that to make a positive impact on others?"
Student applications are evaluated based on academic achievement, representation of community, and leadership.
Members and relatives of the following are not allowed to participate in the scholarship program.
- Employees of the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.
- Members of the Board of Directors of the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.
- Contractors of and with the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.
- Vendors of and with the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.